1877: Abbot Hall dedicated
Formal dedication of Abbot Hall. Designed by Lord & Fuller and built on Training Field Hill. Donated to the Town by Benjamin Abbot, a cooper, the structure was the tallest in Town, 164 feet to the top of the weathervane. During the 1930’s the interior walls were adorned with local-history murals. The bell of Abbot Hall was donated by James J.H. Gregory. And, “Marblehead Forever” was heard for the first time in public at a Town event.
have been adapted with thanks from Bill Purdin’s Marblehead History Timeline published by Marblehead Magazine.