1831: Lighthouse approved
Town votes to build a 20 foot lighthouse on the rocky point of Marblehead Neck. The light was a burning flame fuel by whale oil. The keeper had to carry the oil to the lighthouse, polish the reflectors (lenses came into being in the 1860’s), and pull the shades during the day.
have been adapted with thanks from Bill Purdin’s Marblehead History Timeline published by Marblehead Magazine.