Historical Commission offices have been relocated to the Maritime Museum Room, so the Maritime Museum will be closed until further notice.
The Gift Shop is Closed Until Further Notice due to construction.
Abbot Hall Construction Impact. See sidebar to right -->
Note: Abbot Hall will not be open on Friday afternoons or weekends this year.
Marblehead has a long and rich history. Its places, structures, people, and stories tell the history of New England in a microcosm. The Marblehead Historical Commission is not only dedicated to preserving that history, but also to sharing it with residents, visitors, and researchers who want to learn about Marblehead.
The Marblehead Historical Commission web site offers a wealth of information. You’ll find information on museums and collections that are managed by the Commission, including the Maritime Museum, the Abbot Hall displays, the Selectman's Room, and the Sign Museum. You’ll also learn about Marblehead's most well-known painting, The Spirit of ’76 that can be seen in Abbot Hall. If you're planning a visit to Marblehead, you'll find opening hours and locations so you can make the most of your visit.
The Commission also operates a Gift Shopin Abbot Hall which has numerous Marblehead related items available. The Gift Shop is open seasonally.
For researchers who want to dig deeper, a key offering of the web site is the online archive of artifacts, objects, documents, and photographs all with a brand new search system that will make easier than ever to find the information you're seeking.
Make sure you take a look at our calendar of events. It will keep you up to date on current happenings while opening a window into important events in Marblehead's past.
Enjoy the web site, learn more about Marblehead's history, and visit Marblehead's historic places!
Abbot Hall News
- Marblehead Historical Commission has reopened the exhibit: “Mapping Marblehead: From Founding to Fre…The Marblehead Historical Commission exhibit, “Mapping Marblehead: From Founding to Freedom”, has reopened in the Selectmen’s Room in Abbot Hall. The innovative exhibit was on display at the Old Town House for most of June, receiving excellent [read more…]
- Marblehead Bicentennial Quilt Display UpdatedDisplayed in Abbot Hall’s auditorium is a gorgeous quilt, made in 1976 by a group of Marblehead women, celebrating the nation’s 200th anniversary. The quilt is made of 33 squares and is approximately ten feet square, depicting different [read more…]
- Inside Abbot Hall Video TourTake a virtual tour of Abbot Hall with your guide, Chris Johnston, Chairman of the Marblehead Historical Commission. Learn more about Benjamin Abbot’s gift to Marblehead and some of the special features of this historic building that you may [read more…]
Historical Commission News
- Jonathan Orne’s 1776 Cartridge Box and Replica Given to Marblehead Historical Commission by Orne Family and Bryan RuoccoOn July 4th, 2019, members of the Orne family, [read more…]
- USS Constitution Bowsprit on DisplayThanks to US Navy Commander David Smith, a part of Old [read more…]
- Archival Facility Requirements Nearing CompletionThe Marblehead Historical Commission is leading a [read more…]
History in the News
- Abbot Public Library digitizes Marblehead Reporter/MessengerThe Abbot Public Library has digitized more than 140 [read more…]
- 90th Anniversary Race for Marblehead Trophy Held This Year in St. Petersburg, Russia2019 is the 90th anniversary of the yachting world’s [read more…]
- Marblehead Light Oil House RestorationThe Marblehead Recreation and Parks Commission has [read more…]